Friday, October 14, 2011

Would you rather be fighting a lion?

Are we stressed in today's society? Of course we are. But the important thing to remember is that all animals, including ourselves, are confronted with innumerable types of stress and always have been. We should ignore the incessant mantra of ours being the Age of Stress and put things in a more historical and evolutionary perspective.
Given the choice, who wouldn't prefer the aggravation of two working parents getting their kids off to day care or school on time to the dread of being eaten in one's sleep by a lion? Psychology Today

Conversations with other people over the past few days have provided some crystal clear insights for me. Some of which have been uncomfortable - which helps motivate me to change! Put simply, I've been reminded of my own good fortune. This has put my stuff into perspective. My complaints and issues have been returned to their right size.
Not only do I live in an age and time that is easier - in so many respects - than any other point in history but I also live in a country and at a standard that is incredibly privileged. 
Largely through my own doing, life can get hectic. This is most often because I choose to do too much. Why? Lots of reasons...  Because I am addicted to busy-ness. Because I want more. Because I want to look good. Because I don't consciously choose to think about how I spend my time. Because I say yes when I need to say no..... 
So, in addition to getting real and recognising that my life is blessed, from an evolutionary and historical point of view as well as from a personal perspective, I can also take responsibility and reduce the stress that is causing me pain. It is by virtue of the fact I live at this point in history and evolution that I have so many choices. I can choose how busy I want to be. That's worth remembering.
"You are a free person and you can choose how busy you want to be. Freely choosing to resist the urge to busy-ness is the frame of mind you need before you can take any steps towards finding sanctuary."  
Christopher Jamison, Abbott of Worth Finding Sanctuary Monastic Steps for Everyday Life page 17
Calm Capsules - mental notes to self:
1. Lucky I don't have to fight any lions today.
2. Resist the urge to busy-ness.

No comments:

Post a Comment