Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Finding a quiet place...

One of my intentions for the Choosing Calm project was to choose a set of exercises that I could perform regularly as part of an ongoing commitment to calm. 
So far, Deep Breathing has been a favourite practice. Coming a close second is the Mindful Walk. 
Sometimes I don't feel like going for a 'real walk' so I just stroll up and down our driveway. That's a fine thing to do.
Birds Land Reserve, Belgrave South
Taking a Mindful Walk in a Peaceful Place is another calming activity - although less so when you are accompanied by a small dog with an urgent need to mark territory every 5 steps, as was the case today. Regardless of the dictatorial dog, I enjoyed my walk. 
When I told Reuben - my son, age 7 - where I was going for my walk he made a great suggestion. "Don't just go around the path. When you get just inside the start there is a little path in the trees and if you go down there you can watch the river." 
So I took his advice. It was nice to stand by the river in the quiet place and listen to the water running over the rocks. Thanks Reuben.
If you are looking for calm, some places make it easier to find it.

Calm Capsules:
1. A calm place makes it easier to choose calm
2. Children have the best ideas for finding small quiet places

No comments:

Post a Comment