Friday, November 4, 2011

Critical or Calm?

There's an old expression - "Would you rather be right or would you rather be happy?". 

Something similar can be asked in regard to the practice of calm. 

When I criticise people, places or things, I do find that it can lead to agitation. Especially if I verbalise this to others - and even more so if the criticism is about them! In conversation with a friend today, we talked about how easy it is to turn our criticism on others when we might actually need to be looking more closely at ourselves.

This reminded me of a great little card handed out by 12 Step Programs like AA. People can keep these in their pockets as a reminder of how they can stay spiritually on track - one day at a time. This is one of my favourite lines from that "Just For Today" card:

Just for today I will be agreeable. I will look as well as I can, dress becomingly, keep my voice low, be courteous, criticize not one bit. I won’t find fault with anything, nor try to improve or regulate anybody but myself.

Being courteous and avoiding criticism are two things you can do to choose calm today. Trying to change anyone but yourself is such an anti-calm thing to do! If you have nothing nice to say try saying nothing or, better still, find something nice or positive to say if you can. It trains your brain to run along a different track, creating more positive thoughts, energy and acceptance.

When people feel less judged and more accepted you'll probably find they're calmer around you too. Again, it is clear to see that calm is contagious. So, let's spread it!


I'm going to try it now:

Thanks for reading and by the way you look fabulous today :)

No comments:

Post a Comment